Whitman School Restoration
Grand Junction, Colorado
The Whitman School was one of the four originally planned school/park sites when Grand Junction was platted in 1882. It housed grades one through four until declining enrollment forced its closure in 1962. In 1965 the City turned the building over to the Museum of Arts and Sciences (predecessor to the Museum of Western Colorado), which had it remodeled. The remodeling removed the west-facing windows and the front entry, and covered up the wood floors and high plaster ceilings of the classrooms.
When the Museum of Western Colorado reinvented the Whitman School Building as an education and conference center, Chamberlin Architects designed the restoration to match as closely as possible the original construction by using historic photographs, chemical analysis of mortar, paint and plaster, and digging into the attic and the basement. During the construction, shattered wood trusses were discovered and repaired, significant floor slopes were leveled, and spalling masonry was replaced with new bricks